- Research Affiliate. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Prairie Research Institute. Illinois Sustainable Technology Center. 2023 - Present
- Graduate Research Assistant. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Holonyak Micro & Nanotechnology Lab, 2022 - Present
- Graduate Teaching Assistant. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Department of Agricultural and Biological Engineering, 2023 - Present
- Graduate Research Assistant. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Department of Agricultural and Biological Engineering, 2021 - Present
- Lab and field-scale biochar application for pollution control
- Best management practices for nutrient loss reduction
Selected Articles in Journals
- Hongxu Zhou, Andrew J. Margenot, Wei Zheng, Chloe B. Wardropper, Roland D. Cusick, Rabin Bhattarai. 2023. Advancing circular nutrient economy to achieve benefits beyond nutrient loss reduction in the Mississippi/Atchafalaya River Basin.Journal of Soil and Water Conservation.78 (4) 82A-84A.
- Hongxu Zhou, Andrew J. Margenot, Yunkai Li, Buchun Si, Tengfei Wang, Yanyan Zhang, Shiyang Li, Rabin Bhattarai. 2022. Phosphorus pollution control using waste-based adsorbents: Material synthesis, modification, and sustainability. Critical Reviews in Environmental Science and Technology. 52:12, 2023-2059.
- Hongxu Zhou, Rabin Bhattarai, Yunkai Li, Buchun Si, Xinxin Dong, Tengfei Wang, Zhitong Yao. 2022.Towards sustainable coal industry: Turning coal combustion by-products into wealth. Science of The Total Environment. 804, 149985.
- Hongxu Zhou, Rabin Bhattarai, Yunkai Li, Shiyang Li, Youheng Fan. 2019. Utilization of coal fly and bottom ash pellet for phosphorus adsorption: sustainable management and evaluation. Resources, Conservation & Recycling.149: 372-380.
- Hongxu Zhou, Yunkai Li, Yan Wang, Bo Zhou, Rabin Bhattarai. 2019. Composite fouling of drip emitters applying surface water with high sand concentration: Dynamic variation and formation mechanism. Agricultural Water Management. 215:25-43.
- Ziyun Liu, Shihao Xie, Hongxu Zhou, Lixin Zhao, Zonglu Yao, Honggang Fan, Buchun Si, Gaixiu Yang. 2023. Organic contaminants removal and carbon sequestration using pig manure solid residue-derived biochar: A novel closed-loop strategy for anaerobic liquid digestate. Chemical Engineering Journal.144601
- Zhitong Yao, Markus ReinmÃ¶ller, Nuria OrtuÃ±o, Hongxu Zhou, Meiqing Jin, Jie Liu, Rafael Luque. 2023. Thermochemical conversion of waste printed circuit boards: Thermal behavior, reaction kinetics, pollutant evolution, and corresponding controlling strategies. Progress in Energy and Combustion Science. 97. 101086
- Yanyan Zhang, Joann K. Whalen, Chen Cai, Kun Shan, Hongxu Zhou. 2023. Harmful cyanobacteria-diatom/ dinoflagellate blooms and their cyanotoxins in freshwaters: a nonnegligible chronic health and ecological hazard. Water Research. 233. 119807
Service on University Committees
- Senate Committee Membership in Information Technology. Senate Committees (2023-2024)
- Voting member and Professional Development Lead. Student Sustainability Committee (2022-2023)
- Committee member. Engineering Graduate Student Advisory Committee (2022-2023)
- Conference Presentation Award. Graduate College Conference Presentation Award Program. (2023)
- Safe Water Scholarship.Illinois Section American Water Works Association (2023-2024)
- Waste Management Research Scholarship (Round II award). Air & Waste Management Association (2023-2024)
- Mavis Future Faculty Fellow. The Grainger College of Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2023-2024)
- Mentor Award. Illinois Scholars Undergraduate Research Program, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2023-2024)
- NCR-SARE Graduate Student Grant Award. NCR-SARE USDA (2022-2024)
- Waste Management Research Scholarship. Air & Waste Management Association (2022-2023)
- Student-led Project. Student Sustainability Committee. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2022-2024)
- Honorable Mention. Graduate Student Image of Research Competition. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2022)